The main helm of the U.S.S Medusa, 73" in diameter, 9" diameter center brass hub
with yellow wooden inlay accents on solid mahogany.
Attached brass plaque states:
"U.S.S. MEDUSA-BUILT BY NAVY YARD, PUGET SOUND 1924"
An original wooden & brass helm from the famous
Docked near the south end of Ford Island, near the U.S.S. Curtis, & U.S.S Nevada
@ Pearl Harbor, December 7th, 1941
The ship was under the command of Lieutenant Commander John F.P. Miller
when about 07:55 am a loud explosion was heard from Ford Island.
The Commander immediately sounded the alarm for general quarters, ordered the forward
magazine opened & fired on Japanese planes passing as low as one hundred feet above the ship.
The Medusa was credited for shooting down two planes & sinking one mini sub as
it entered the harbor. Even though bombs & gun fire were all around the Medusa,
their was only one casualty & the ship made preparations to get underway.
It was stated that the conduct of the crew was splendid & at least nine of them
were recommended for the highest commendations.
The ship also received a Battle Star.
For more detailed information on the Medusa please click the
U.S. Naval Historical Website Link Below.
The Medusa Helm Photo, & wheel information was
donated to our site by a private collector.
"THE WIRELESS STATION"